Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Going Mad


I had been thinking about starting to watch the television show Mad Men for quite some time. I mean, it kinda seems like something I would watch. Its won critical as well as fan adoration. So, the other, day I downloaded the first season to my portable video machine and I'll just say it is an intruiging 47ish minutes of television.

It takes place in the 1960, as you could see by the dress code. The main man is Don Draper, the creative director of "Sterling/Cooper Advertising Agency" over on Madison Avenue. He, along with 2/3 of the rest of the male characters, are some of the most dispicable people I have encountered in all my years in TV land. They all have wives and they all have at least 1 mistress. To be fair, they do have issues of their own, but seeing a therapist is considered immasculation.

The poor messed up women in their lives. Betty Draper, (Don's wife) is played by January Jones, who is probably one of the most stikingly beautiful women I've ever seen. Betty got married too young, had kids too young, basically settled too young. She has issues. Christina Hendricks plays Joan Holloway, the head lady of the steno pool. She is a mistress. Everyone is in love with her. That must be hard. Did I mention she's a redhead? I have a thing for redheads.

Along with learning about these screwed up people (as well as seeing some of Nixon/Kennedy campaign footage), the show can be quite depressing as well is interesting. All of these people are drowning in lives they aren't happy with.

Maybe that why I like it. I feel like I'm drowning alot.

No comments: