Sunday, August 22, 2010

Meditations

I'm starting to feel like I've lost my respect for movies. (I do realize that many of you are scoffing at those opening words. If you've ever heard me talk about Away We Go or any number of films, you will think it's silly for me to say such a thing.)

But it is my feeling. And I believe it to be true. I pondered today on this. 2 years ago, I would see movies alone, dressed nicely (i.e. Jeans and a blazer) to show repsect for the power that I know film has. The medium has changed my life. But it has been a while since I've done a movie old-fashioned, and, in my opinion, the good way. So tonight, seeing as I had no plans, I did a movie; 2008 style. Suited up, got some Wendy's to sneak in, even listed to music I was crazy about then. I'm very glad to say, it worked out and I had a resplendant cinematic excursion.

The film on the docket was Eat Pray Love. Yes, I know the face you're making. However, I'd heard from sources, that I consider reliable, that I should check it out. It is based on the memior by Elizabeth Gilbert, who, after a nasty divorce and a follow-up fling, decides to take a hiatus. She's stuck on the end of a teeter-totter and needs to find some balance. So, she goes on a year long journey to Italy, India, and Bali where she literally learns how to Eat, Pray, and Love (crazy. That's the title.)

It ended up being a very personal experience for me (I won't bore you with the details), but I am very glad I saw it alone. I am a firm believer that your experience with a movie can easily change with an additional member in your party. For some movies, that is ok. Others, I like to see alone first. I end up liking more movies that way.

No comments: