Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not Now But Soon


So lately, there has been a word that just erks me. I say it too, which is why I'm even more disgusted. It sounds promising, but the wise know that its most vague promise ever. That word, children, is 'soon'. I mean, think about it. Do you remember when you were 10 and you asked your parents, "When can we go to Disney World?" and your parents reply was "Not now but soon". And did you go soon? Like with in a few months even? No. Here's another example. Say you're 20 and working at rather well known company in their theme park division and you wonder "When am I going to get trained in some parade or show?" and certain officials say "Oh, it's coming up soon". Throne of lies. 'Soon' is a word used when the speaker wishes it was true but knows it's unlikely. Like "We'll hang out soon" or "I'll talk to you soon". So I guess knowing it's coming from a sincere place is slightly conforting. But still. Essentially, soon is an empty promise. A way of sufficing the listner's need for an answer without actually giving one. BAHHHH! I hate it. Stupid, stupid word.

You know what, kids? I had a hard day and I'm gonna go lie down. I'll talk to you soon,

1 comment:

Chelsea Michelle said...

KACIST THE RACIST. I know it has been SUCH a long time since we have talked, but I do really think of you frequently. And me and jules always like to look back at the good old days when I am actually in Orem and I actually see you. But I miss your guts and your face! Loves :)