Monday, December 24, 2007

Footloose and fancy free

So I have seen Footloose (both movie and musical) around thirty times. Ren McCormak moves to an up tight town where dancing and "loud music" are prohibited. Seriously. In Boughmont, you can't play that funky music white boy. Ren therefore decides to rebel against the town and break free of their over-protective morals. In the musical, this is brought to the light through the song "I'm Free". Ren gets nearly all the teens in the town to join his cause.

I'm gonna pause that topic. Get back to it in a bit.

Yesterday was my last day working for the groceric industry. Now, in the last two weeks I unfortunatly began liking it there. I made a few friends and while disliking what the job actually entailed, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I was about to get sad that I was leaving. Then something happened. My manager decided to let the other cashiers go home early and since I was closing I could have no such luxury. Meaning, I was the lone cashier.
And, it being the night before Christmas Eve, it got busy. And while the store is busy it's not too stressful, until you are the only cashier. I was freakin stressed trying to get all these people checked out in a timely fashion. That's when it all came rushing back to me. My complete hatred for the task I was performing. I had an hour left and I had already felt completely defeated.

When closing time finally rolled around, I counted out my till, clocked out and walked out of my groceric prison to feel the bitter winter chill. In that instant, it was like a two ton man named Clem was lifted off my shoulders. I was the Genie and Aladin just granted me freedom. And I couldn't help but shout Dean Pitchfork's suddendly poetic lyrics. I'M FREE! (ah, see what I did there?) I no longer have to say hello to a customer if they are five tiles away. I can forget the damned 'Better Basics'. No more asking if people need stamps or ice or if they'd like paper or plastic. I'm Free. And now, like the Genie in Aladin, I'm going to DISNEY WORLD!!

3 comments:

princess.sairah said...

ugh! freakin lucky dog! i'm SOOO jealous!! i wish i could say the same thing. :( unfortunately, i can't until i get a call from some company i've applied at. -_- well, i still love you anyway, and i'm glad you kinda started liking it for at least a little bit.
and i have to apologize, i was supposed to close with you yesterday, but since i'm getting sicker by the day, i didn't go in yesterday and slept instead. and i feel bad cuz i could have helped you, and we could have worked together one last time. but alas, my body hates me and caused grievous afflictions upon itself. anyways, that's what our office party is for. YAY! anyways, i heart you, and i'll catch ya later!
♥,
Sairah

Rachel EM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel EM said...

You know they're re-making Footloose the movie w/Zac Efron? Yeah. I don't know if it'll be all eighties-ified or not, but there you have it.

--Mildenstein