Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Golden Years?


For considerably my entire high school career, I was, what in Utah is called, a "drama kid". Meaning I did the plays and musicals. In 2005, I did 10 seperate shows. It was kinda intense. Most of the time, the reason I was cast was that I could move better than about 94% of the uncoordinated kids who auditioned. This resulted in my casting as "Featured Dancer."

There was one musical that I had a part in. Once on This Island; "Daniel's Father". If any of you know the show, you'll understand why that is a speaking role in the smallest sense of the word. And being that my part was so small, it became Daniel's Father/Featured Dancer.

But as I said, us musical performers were "the drama kids" (Five of us mockingly inflicted the term "thespians" upon ourselves. But that story is for another time).

Once I graduated, well, I was doing it before too but, I moved onto community theater. I found this to be a much less angst-y and childish way to go about doing something I loved. Granted, there was some immaturity here, some petty drama there, but for the most part, it was infinatly more rewarding and, let's be honest, it was more fun. Life was good, post-high school drama.

So I moved on. I'm now in Florida and for the most part, I would like to stress the word MOST, it has been smooth sailing. Except...well...and I mean, I know we all love High School Musical, but...it's just...I thought high school drama was over!