Friday, February 5, 2010

Picture This


My friend Tin Tin (who provided the image above) gave his thoughts on the 2010 Best Picture nominations and thus, I thought I'd give mine as well.

Unfortunatly, I cannot speak with a high amount of authority as I have only seen half of the nominees but here are my thoughts. If you hate me after this, well thats unfortunate also.

Of course, you have the Big 5. The films that would still have a nod even if the limit was 5.

- Up in the Air
- Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
- Inglorious Basterds
- The Hurt Locker
- Avatar

Duh. I can say for certain that the 3 of those I have seen should absolutely be on there. Next are the indies. The movies that, while still great, didn't quite hit the big time.

-An Education
-A Serious Man

Finally, with three nods left to dull out, the Academy chose films that lotsa people saw. I can think of other films that should gotten the chance but what can I say?

- Up
- The Blind Side
- District 9

These last three is where I am pissed. First, Up is...up for Best Picture and Best Animated Feature. I really feel like that shouldn't be an option. We all know it's gonna end up going home with AniFeat so why not leave a slot for a different great work this year? Or if they felt strongly enough that Up is just so fantastic it needs to get put with the big boys, stand by that decision and don't be so afraid that if it didn't win anything Pixar would be upset and we can't have that. Baaaawk bawk bawk.

Oh District 9. I'm absolutely fine for it being up for technical awards because in those respects the film was great. However, if you wanted to give it up to a second sci-fi crowd pleaser, why not give it to a more entertaing and equally well made Star Trek? Booo on that one Academy.

All I can do about The Blind Side is roll my eyes and feel uttery exasterbated. I just...no. sigh

Those be my thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What didn't you like about Blind Side? I loved it - and it was all true, which made it even better.