Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cinematic Contemplations: '10 edition

2 movies. 2 days. My thoughts? Here goes.


Avatar was really awesome. Epic. Here's the concept. High tech Pocahontas in space. Replace the native indians with crazy tall cat creatures called the Na'vi. Switch out John Smith (JS) for a parapalegic, jarhead named Jake Sulley (JS). And take out gold and put in a mysterious valuable substance called Umbium (I think that's what it's called. I couldn't really understand Giovanni Ribisi).

It is one of the most visually beautiful movies I have ever seen. James Cameron created a world (Pandora) that is so full of color and life. Every new animal we encounter shows more creativity and artistry than the last. It was so good that I'm going to see it again...wait for it......in 3D! And I don't do 3D so you know its a big deal.


My thoughts on It's Complicated are just that. Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep have chemistry in a way, but, at the same time, feel mismatched. Both have great moments in the film. Unfortunatly, it was not enough to convince. My personal favorite part of this movie was John Krasinski as the son-in-law to be who becomes unwillingly privy to his in-laws affair.

Overall, Nancy Meyers' latest rom-com for the elderly was only okay. Hey, maybe that should be the title of her next movie. Only Okay starring Michael Cain and Helen Mirren.

1 comment:

Jamurai (^ ^) said...

Probably the only thing I could even find fault with (but only because it was funny) was that instead of finding some scientific sounding title, they decided to name the ore, Unobtainium. I laughed a bit when I heard it, but let it go considering they never even tried to explain what it was used for back on Earth that caused it to be worth millions. Ah well, they could name it "Big Rock of Douche" and it would still be an awesome movie.